Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fun Stuff Goin On!





Ok, I love to read the story of Elmer, the patchwork elephant to my kindergarten students.  I want to convey the idea of patchwork, but somehow we always get hung up on elephant drawing.  So, this year, instead of wasting valuable time on the elephant outline, I used a stencil (gasp) and drew out the elephants in advance.  This allowed my kiddos to focus on the idea of patchwork, and filling in their shape.  We had a blast, and they truly enjoyed the variety of papers I provided.  Incidentally, if you are like me, an avid scrapbooker, you've probably got papers laying around that did not work like you wanted, came in a pack, or are just plain outdated.  This is a fun way to "edit" and the art room benefits from it!


Anyone else at that point in the year where you will just about stand on your head to get your kiddos to stay interested?  I sure am.  I was looking through an old School Arts and found a lesson on Clay Dragons.  My second graders are building some valuable sculpture skills, and are getting a rare chance to use the variety of texture tools I keep on hand.  Even the not so "dragony" ones are kinda cute, and the kids LOVE them.  Can't wait to see them painted.

No comments: