Wednesday, January 4, 2012

This is it


I hope this is it- I hope I am on to posting more about artwork, and less about construction, but WOW, as hard as the year of construction has been, it is worth it now (I think).  Today, I taught my first classes in the official art room.  Not a room that was a classroom turned art room, a real, honest to goodness, designed for my needs art room.  Sinks, storage, and space.  And, today,  as I limped home on my aching feet, I had to admit that for the first time in a long time, I felt "teacherish"  I felt like I had the students' attention, that I was running my room, rather than my room running me, and that my tired was the tired of a good day of work, and not just stress.  And, if that weren't enough, they delivered my  final two pieces of furniture.  A clay cabinet, and a wooden wardrobe thing that has rubber maid type drawers, and shelves in it. Both with the ability to lock, and all giving me more storage than I've ever had.  Which means of course, that the space in the art room is actual, usable space where the kiddos can safely interact without backing a chair into something or someone.  Don't get me wrong- I loved my old room- I had made it mine, and made it work.  It was old, worn in, and there was nothing I could do to really mess up that space- and a part of me will miss that freedom.  I've spent a year on a cart, and I appreciated any  room I was given. However, this space is more in keeping with the needs of my class, and my students, and we will love it (after we break it in a little)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow, congratulations! I know how you feel as I moved into my brand new artroom last fall. It looks like you've got everything just the way you wanted it to be and your new chair looks awesome. It's so funny because as I looked at the picture of your desk area, I saw so many things that looked exactly like mine. I guess it's really true that great minds think alike! LOL

Katie Morris said...

Congratulations! :)