Saturday, December 1, 2012

CD Weaving- the warping

Start by looping the string through the center hole, and tying a snug knot.

Slide the knot to the center hole.

While holding the knot/CD with one hand, start passing the end of the string through the center hole, and pulling tight each time.

An odd number is necessary.  When students had their CD strung, I tied the two ends together in the center, and they clipped the tails. 

Tie the weft, or the weaving string to a center string, consider it "over", and start weaving. 
Voila!
I have had a couple of requests to show/give more detail in how to get the CD warped and ready for weaving.  Understand, I did not think of this idea, I found it on pinterest, so there may be other ways- this is the way I figured out, and it works... mostly.  As in anything, there are always a couple of kiddos who need me to rescue them.  But, the success rate is higher than with the paper plates- and the weavings stay centered, which does not always happen with plates.  The one problem this group had was counting their warp strings and stopping at odd- I think they were losing track of where they started.  My "fix" for the ones I didn't catch was to take 2 strings and tie them together, and have the students consider them one string. Using the CDs is a manageable size, easy to store, and sturdy for the "determined" weavers. Also, lots of embellishing potential.  I used feathers and sequins, but there are a wealth of things you could use to finish off the edges.
Here is another tutorial

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thorough description and photos! Very helpful. I've done this with paper plates, but not CDs.

sallgood said...

Hi! I'm happy to see that you tried out my CD weaving! If you'd link to my blog, your readers could follow my tutorial. Thanks! http://makeitawonderfullife.blogspot.com/search/label/CD%20Weaving%20Tutorial

sallgood said...

Hi! I just came across you again- my solution for counting the warp threads was to not count! As I put the warp threads on, I left them in pairs, and then at the end just add one before tying off on the back. Once tied, you separate the pairs and space them all evenly. It makes it easy to see that you have an odd number without counting. Hope that helps! -Stephanie :D