I gave the K's each a small piece of cardboard which they dipped in black paint, and we talked about finding the side with the bumps (the corrugation). They were to fill their entire paper with patterns. (The previous day, we had drawn patterns both on the smartboard and on their papers, in order to check for understanding). After stamping their patterns, and letting them dry, they used tempera cakes to fill in the spaces. We did talk about color as a pattern, but they were so excited to paint, that they didn't all remember, or have the control to do that. I think the results were great. And, the kiddos got some really rich colors out of the cakes.